For the past month or so I’ve been toying with the idea of attending a blogging conference called Influence. My fellow blogger, and friend-in-real-life Kacia is a community leader for the conference, and has been spreading the word about what an encouraging, inspiring and FUN event it’s going to be. I haven’t made the leap to committing to going yet, but she just posted an online meet and greet for attendees to help everyone get connected before meeting for real next month. Though I’m not 100% if I’m going to take the plunge and attend, I wanted to participate, in the hopes that joining the pre-conference party might get me psyched up for the real deal.
So here we go:
3 get-to-know-me things
- I live to eat, and don't understand those crazy "eat to live" people. I hesitate to say I'm a "foodie" because that implies a level of fanciness that I don't necessarily require. Sure I love an expensive cheese plate, but I'll also eat a whole box of Kraft Dinner (yes, that's its real name...for good reason) without looking back. Entire vacations are practically planned around food (I'm lucky my husband shares my sweet-and savory-tooth) and I am often looking forward to my next meal before this current one is over (or even begun).
- I feel big. No, not the "my pants don't fit because of all that living to eat" type big. I mean I feel dramatically. I feel, care, and love passionately. There aren't many things I'm middle of the road on. When I'm happy, I'm thrilled. When I'm aggravated I'm...well...pretty obnoxious to be around.
- I’m a strange breed of right/left brain combo which means I love sewing as much as I love spreadsheets (lots) and I get equally geeked about designing a party photo-booth as I do mapping out the seating chart (super geeked).
Since I'm still on the fence about going, I'll share my two biggest hesitations:
- I will feel like a big dorky mash up of a wallflower at a sixth grade dance, a freshman on dorm move in day, and a small time blogger in a sea of talented multi-hyphenate media powerhouses (oh wait- I really will be that last one...) There has been ton of talk about building community, making connections, no blogger left behind!...but I'm still worried that I won't fit in. As friendly as I'm sure all the ladies are, there will still be those awkward moments when I hold my figurative lunch tray and scan the room for a place to perch. Or those times when I pretend to be doing Really Important Things on my phone, just to not look like the loser in the corner while everyone else is chatting away. (tell me you've pulled that move before, right? Just me?)
- Though I’ve been doing this crazy blogging thing for five years now (which in blog years means I’m pretty much a dinosaur) I still haven’t totally nailed down my purpose for this little web space. It’s part personal diary, part creative outlet, and part (sometimes it feels) silly waste of time. I’m worried I’ll be out of my league with all the “real bloggers”. You know, the pro and semi-pro writers that have sponsors, boast subscribers by the thousands, manage etsy shops, and run their photography/event planning/cupcake liner print shops on the side. Does a full-time working mom with a blog geared mostly towards updating the grandparents with pictures of a baby at the park really have any business spend the weekend gallivanting around town, wearing stripes and learning about social media? Well on second thought- gallivanting and wearing stripes are two of my favorite things....
In all honesty it has to be my iPhone, but I'm hesitant to count that because at this point it's practically an extension of my hand. So instead I'll say sunglasses. I have pretty sensitive eyes (ask to see photos of me in an eye patch as a kid...I have 5 years worth of pics!) so I pretty much don't go outside without my shades. Even when it's not that bright, I'm still thatgirl rocking the sunnies- now you know it's only partly to look cool, and mostly because I'm a big baby.
What about you all? Is anyone else planning on going? And if you are, do you want to pack some snacks, don some shades and be my friend for the weekend? (I'll figuratively help carry your figurative lunch tray!)
And for those of you on the fence like me...you can learn more about Influence here, and check out their things you should know series on their blog. See you there?